Monday, January 7, 2008

Finders keepers...


‘I remember when you asked me for a cigarette, then cast it to the ground and stomped on it. I remember you saying “it’s kidding, give me another one” and did the same thing again. I remember your reply to me when I asked you: man, I just care for you enough to want to keep you from smoking, even if it makes you angry. You were the only one who seemed to care about me back then, thank you’
-Xavi



Where is your best friend now? Where is the one who you dared call ‘best’ at one time? Where is that person whose very name, when mentioned, still brings you back memories that draw a smile on your face? That being whose name you will never forget, for it was a person you loved…

Is your friend close to you? Is he/she far? Is that person even alive? Have you abandoned ‘that special someone’ because ‘life is way too busy so we went our own ways’?
If so, I can’t help but wonder…if he was the best of friends, why would I repay him with just relegating that person to a second tier in the ladder of my existence?

A friendship is defined as ‘a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, and affection. Friends will welcome each other’s company and exhibit loyalty towards each other, often to the point of altruism.’

Altruism by itself is the selfless concern for the welfare of another. Even Jesus Christ(is said to have) declared “No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends”.

So, if this is said about friends, imagine what could be said about the BEST of friends.

If that someone’s love kept you going at one time, if that person’s smile gave you strength, or if the mere company of that person made you grow up, even when your own immaturity may have separated you in the past, that person ought to know. Maybe he’s going through hard times and we, in our own ‘being too busy’ have forgotten to repay the greatest favor of all: WE WERE LOVED.

Don’t be ungrateful, make all the phone calls you need to, check the internet, write a letter and find out about your friend (with the same eagerness as you would find out about that very special Christmas’ gift you badly wanted) and say, in addition to whatever you need to say: ‘Thanks for being there for me, and thanks for being part of me, I love you, my best of friends’



Lesson Learned: Friends are friends forever, despite all wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a veces la vida te aleja de un amigo q uno ama, pero q he hecho yo para poder comunicarme con el??. Gracias pq esto me pone a pensar 'uno no sabe el amigo q tiene hasta q lo pierde..'