Saturday, January 5, 2008

Unexpected flowers...


‘Light a candle in someone’s heart and you will illuminate the world’

-The Puppet Master

Coming back home from another day at volleyball I would laugh at the many jokes my friends and I told. As I stepped out of the elevator a most surprising event unfolded. A flower arrangement sat right in front of the doorway to my apartment. Pink, green, yellow and orange…if I’d only known anything about flowers!

My soul trembled in wonder, who could’ve sent flowers to me? Or, more than who could have, who would have? Whoever did has not only changed my day but also perhaps influenced the course of my life’s river.

Why would a single flower cause an earthquake of emotions that would shake the very foundations of our existence? Why would colorful petals mesmerize me like the best poem ever written would do to a poet?

Know that it is not just the action itself, but the fact that it was performed by a stranger that gives it strength. It would be easily expected to receive anything on a holiday, but just on a simple, regular day?

If you want to change the World, if you truly want to leave a mark behind for your children and their own children to see you don’t have to write a book, sculpt a masterpiece or paint marvelously well. You can just give a flower to a stranger or if you’re too shy, just leave it dedicated to a total stranger and perhaps they will do the same.

Lesson learned: Don’t underestimate your power to change the course of history with but a single, simple action.

No comments: